Saturday, December 21, 2013

Tragically Beautiful

When i first learned the meaning of culture shock, my understanding of the concept was very limited. I came to Africa somewhat prepared for the negative aspects, but was utterly unprepared for the ways in which the beauty of Africa would captivate me. I came to this realisation during my first shift. I had just finished changing multiple dirty nappies, the result of diarrhea when i heard some music playing. I walked out to the play area to find the children dancing and singing. I watched in awe as they held each others hands and rejoiced. Each child looking out for the other. One of the young boys especially caught my eye. He is only 3 and yet, when the youngest child fell over, he rushed to her, gave her a big hug and wiped her tears away with his shirt. I've worked with many children, all very fortunate and yet never have i witnessed such pure joy and compassion. For a moment i was baffled, and then i understood. Where i see the cup as half empty, they see it as half full. Where i see injustice, they find solace, blessing  and hope. The children may not receive adequate amounts of water, but atleast they have water. They may not get all the  medical attention they need, but they are healthy. And above all, although the conditions are not ideal, they are safe, which is more than I can say about the child I heard screaming outside of the premises that night. In a place where so many children are faced with the struggle of survival, these  children have a chance. A future. I guess you could say it's tragically beautiful. A phenomenon i feel i have become well acquainted with since my arrival. A phenomenon that seems to be the embodiment of these childrens lives.
I had the privilege of taking the children to the pool for what was most of their first times leaving the children's home. The kids were ecstatic at the opportunity to be in a car, so you can imagine their excitement when they saw the pools. Unfortunately however, the children had no swimmers so instead we had them in underwear. I had expected looks of disgust from those at the pool but what i saw instead was, well shocking. People began to play with the kids. Others gave us huge donations and one man bought them all ice creams.  The ladies at the shop even offered us their umbrellas to keep them shaded during their rest. I was completely dumbfounded. The generosity of those around us was inspiring and completely unexpected. Although i have witnessed much tragedy since I've been here, i have been comforted by the beauty of Africa as well. People with so little, yet so much to offer. Tiny fragile bodies with so much love to give. The truth is that culture can shock us in many ways, we just have to keep sight of the beautiful aspects as well. We do live in a beautiful world. Whether we choose to see it or not is our choice. Enkosi Africa for opening my eyes. Enkosi for changing my life.




1 comment:

  1. Wow, Aimee, this sounds like an amazing experience. You're a beautiful person

    ReplyDelete