Thursday, January 2, 2014

One Small Gesture

Within Baphumelele Childrens Home, there is a project known as the Child Headed Households project. It raises money to support some of the many children in Khayelitsha who due to various circumstances, are the sole supporters of their family. Being volunteers within Baphumelele, we were asked if we would like to get involved with and financially support a braai (African BBQ) for the children within the project. Thanks to the generous donations of one of the girls i work with, we were able to buy loads of food including chicken, sausages, rolls, salad, pap and drinks. As 1pm came around, we got started on the braai and watched as 52 children began to poor into the room. Some were about my age and others couldn't have been much older than 7-13 years old. Divided by age, yet united by circumstances, the children interacted with each other in a way that suggested family. The eldest seemed to comfort the yougest, providing them with the temporary opportunity of being children again. The youngest in return, providing the eldest with a sense of appreciation. Each child frightfully young, yet wearing lines of worry that no child should bear.
The food took forever to prepare and although we expected restlessness, the children sat patiently, waiting for what to them was a feast. Once the food was finally done, we brought it out. The children began to clap and sing as they passed the plates around to each other, ensuring that the youngest had food first. As they were eating their meal, i took my phone out to check the time when i noticed a young girl staring at me. I smiled at her and asked if she wanted another drink and she said she just wanted to see my phone. I looked down at my battered up phone, shrugged and said something i now regret, "Sure, but it's not very good" to which she responded, "But to me, it is beautiful." Once she had finished analysing my phone, she handed it back to me and before i could think of what to say next, she was up and on the move. My eyes followed her as she made her way towards the middle of the room where she demanded everyone's attention. She then proceeded to thank us for our kindess and lead the rest of the children in a song that was dedicated to us. I looked around the room and felt humbled to be a part of something so beautiful. I was truly astonished that something so effortless on my behalf could have such an impact on so many peoples lives. The truth is, you don't have to move mountains to make a difference. One small gesture may seem insignificant, but we can never truly judge the full impact of our actions. For just like my phone, what may seem broken to us might be a thing of beauty to another.

No comments:

Post a Comment