Tuesday, June 12, 2012

LA

LA is everything I imagined and more! Descending, I could see buildings upon buildings and roads four times the size of ours. It was beautiful. A whole new world.

Exhausted, I collected my bag and made my way through customs where my Uncle and Aunty were waiting for me with a sign saying my name, "Aimee Oliveri." The second I saw that sign a big smile appeared on my face. That's me and this is me. At the age of 18, I, Aimee Oliveri have endeavored on a journey that will change my life forever.

From the second I arrived my Uncle and Aunty fed me. I had all sorts of food from cherries, ham 
sandwiches to a burger meal with an extra burger. Welcome to America!

After 8 hours of sleep and 4 hours of eating, I walked the dogs with my Uncle. This guy started his motor and the dog, Charlie got so scared, it broke its collar and ran all the way home. Not long after, it was time to return to LA airport where I would continue my journey to Camp Bernadette Wolfeboro, NH. Uncle and Aunty made me another ‘snack’ for the trip and after we checked in, on a computer?... We said our goodbyes and again a sense of independence came over me.

The security at LA was really intense. I had three pat downs and then I had to go through this machine where you face four different ways with your arms up. I felt like I was getting a mug shot. One of the guards just looked at me and said, “What’s that on your back?” I replied “A hoody?” Then he just rolled his eyes. Then another guard said, “Oh, you’re Australian. Holden or Ford?” I looked at him with confusion and replied, “Holden?” While thinking to myself, “Please don’t let this be some kind of a twisted security question.”

While waiting for my flight I met a beautiful couple who were celebrating their 50th anniversary. The woman kept saying, “You’re too young to be by yourself, if I was your mother I would have never let you go.” The truth is though, I’m not too young and I am so thankful to my mum for letting me leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment