Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Tunnel Vision

Today we had to take down the equipment that we set up in the beginning of ropes. This involves climbing 60ft trees, with nothing but a rope attached to your waist that you use to clip on as you climb (otherwise known as lobster claws). This might sound pretty simple to you but there's a lot more to it then that. I had to take down the systems that had been up there for a year. So.. picture undoing a bolt that has been there through snow, heat, rain etc, only while you're 60ft in the air dangling from a tree.. Sounds fun hey? Well, as I climbed higher and higher, the staples that you use to put your feet on got further and further in the tree. Once I reached the system, the staples were practically non-existent meaning I had to use all my upper body strength to pull myself up to the highest staple and clip myself in. Once I did this, it took me about half an hour either side, to loosen the equipment. It gets worse.. One of the systems had been set up upside down (that's not dangerous, just a pain in the ass) which meant I had to get into the most awkward, uncomfortable position possible in order to get it loose. Anyway, after an hour and a half in the tree, I finally succeeded and returned to the ground only to realise both of my legs were bleeding from the pressure of the tree. Yep, not my cup of tea..


1 comment: