Thursday, September 27, 2012

Breaking point

Today was an absolutely horrifying experience. I made my way to Anaheim via the Greyhound bus but things did not go to plan. The Greyhound was running 45 minutes late meaning I missed the next two buses I had organised to transport me to my hotel. When I arrived in Anaheim I made my way to the bus stop where I waited for half an hour for my first bus. As I waited it begun to become clear that I was not in a safe neighbourhood. A man approached me and told me that he had been watching me earlier. He insisted that I hop in his car and he would show me the way. I however continued to inform him that I knew exactly where I was going and I did not need his help. Much to his discrepancy he eventually left, leaving me with the daunting reality that I was not safe. The truth is, I was lost. Lost and scared.

As I sat there waiting for my bus, people were looking at me from every angle like they knew exactly what I was thinking. When the bus finally arrived I was filled with relief but a feeling of dread soon followed as I realised that I was still yet to catch another bus. When I reached my next stop there were people at the bus stop so I felt a lot safer. The bus arrived about 45 minutes later and by this time it was getting very late and I was wishing I had just bitten the bullet and got a taxi. When I informed the bus driver of where I had to go he told me that he knew exactly where that was and he'd shout at when we arrived. Half an hour later, staring at my map in confusion it had become very clear that I had gone way too far. 4 miles too far to be exact. The bus driver apolagised as he had misunderstood my location but there was nothing I could do. I had to get off the bus and by this time there was no more buses running. 

Thinking back to it now, I can think of so many things I should have done but at the time I was sick and it was extremely difficult to get out a clear thought. All I knew was that I needed a taxi and I needed it now. Trembling with fear I tried to contain myself as I walked into a store to ask the number for a taxi. Five stores later I had been yelled at and verbally abused by every shop keeper as they all refused to tell me the number of a taxi company. Stressed out and exhausted both physically and mentally I made my way to a super market in the distance walking past a large group of guys on the way. Let's recount shall we? I'm alone, I'm lost, I stand out like a sore thumb, I'm sick and I'm trembling with fear. And to make things worse, just a few hours ago I had read an article about a girl who was raped and murdered while walking home alone. You can't possibly imagine what it feels like to be in a situation like that unless you have experienced it yourself. Every one seems suspicious and you begin to question who you can trust. What if the security guard is dodgy? What if the police officers are just as bad. Thank God for me, I was on the phone to Adam the whole time who talked me through things and helped me through the whole situation. Eventually I made it to the supermarket where I was able to get a taxi to my hotel.  I guess though, that's what life is all about. Making mistakes and enduring crazy experiences so that you can learn from them. I have certainly learnt from mine.

Thank God I am safe. 

1 comment: